The program currently accepts five residents each year.
There is a stipend of $30,000. Unfortunately the program can only offer stipends to dentists who received their dental education in the United States or Canada.
The 12-month program starts June 30 and ends the following June 29.
All clinical training occurs within the AEGD clinic or School of Dentistry clinics. Residents attend at least one community service/mission project. Housing, meals and transportation will be provided for the projects.
The residents see patients in the AEGD clinic daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Clinical training comprises about 85 percent of the program; the remaining 15 percent is didactic. Seminars and CE courses are generally offered during the regular hours between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The program provides extensive didactic and clinical training in the treatment, planning and restoration of dental implants for both the partially edentulous and completely edentulous patient. Residents do not currently place dental implants; however, they do have the opportunity to attend and participate in implant surgeries for their specialty referral patients.
Residents treat patients requiring the full scope of general dentistry. We have a diverse patient pool with many patients that present complex dental needs. Emphasis is placed on advanced treatment planning and management of the patient’s dental needs, either by the AEGD resident directly or by coordination of care with other specialty residents. Clinical procedures range from preventive and restorative dentistry to multidisciplinary treatment plans. Patients with special needs are treated in the AEGD clinic.
The AEGD program is supported by the range of support personnel typically found in a private dental practice. The clinic is supported by three trained dental assistants, as well as appointment and insurance coordinators. A dental hygienist and dental hygiene students provide adult recall appointments.
The faculty is a mix of general dentists and specialists who are very committed to supporting the residents’ advanced training. Seven AEGD faculty members are in attendance in the clinic weekly, while several affiliate faculty members also provide special clinical and didactic training.
The didactic portion of the program consists primarily of seminars, some of which are attended by residents from the specialty programs. The seminars cover the complete spectrum of general dentistry and include guest speakers and current literature review. Residents also attend a number of continuing education courses covering a variety of interdisciplinary topics.
Applying to the AEGD program
Yes, graduates of non-US/Canadian dental schools are encouraged to apply.
All eligible candidates must be able to obtain a Virginia state dental license or a resident’s license. To obtain a Virginia state dental license or a resident’s license, accepted residents must pass both part 1 and 2 of the National Boards.
Graduates of non-US/Canadian dental schools who are accepted into the program must pay a fee to attend. For the 2018 entering class, the fee is $45,000.
Selection criteria include but are not limited to academic achievement, interpersonal skills and the desire to practice general dentistry. A selection committee consisting of the program director and faculty within the AEGD program screen all submitted applications and select those who will be invited for a personal interview. Once the committee has completed the interviews, a formal evaluation and ranking process is used to make the final selections for those to whom a residency position will be offered.
Candidates are given the opportunity to meet and interact with the current residents and staff; however, the final selection process rests with the AEGD Admissions Committee.
All applicants must apply through the American Dental Education Association Postdoctoral Application Support Service (PASS) program. The program deadline for application through PASS is Oct. 1.
The program does not participate in the Postdoctoral National Matching Program. Candidates who are interviewed undergo a formal evaluation process and the resident selection is made by the AEGD Admissions Committee after the interviews have been completed.